Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Blog #2: What I hear


I live in Rego Park, Queens, a neighborhood that has been gentrified and is surrounded by brand new stores. The areas that have not been impacted yet are more residential this includes my home. I live in Lefrak City which is an apartment complex filled with different types of people, cultures and places.

For an hour I walked around my neighborhood and listened to the sounds of my community.  Depending on the weather you can encounter many different types of people and different amounts of people outside of local shops and on the streets hanging out with one another. On this particular day, there were people outside the stores and beauty salons. Each conversation was a loud blur but certain words stuck out to me. Men and women were talking about their children and money or bills. In the background I would hear the regularly scheduled Q38 bus making its stops and men, woman and children being let on and off. The area in which I live is rather dangerous so there is a lot of police presence. Occasionally I would hear sirens and the sound of various walking patrolmen’s walkie-talkies.  Every once in a while I would hear an airplane flying above.

No comments:

Post a Comment