Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Blog #3: Relationships Between Shots



I chose a piece of media that I constructed myself. I composed a documentary on natural hair. In this piece those interviewed were people who have been natural their whole life or have chosen to transition. What it means to have natural hair is for the hair to be free of chemically altering substances that changes the texture of the hair. To transition means at some point the hair contained chemicals but the use has discontinued and the natural hair is growing out.

Within this piece editing was a huge factor, aside from the questions for the documentary itself. The inclusion of a lot of b roll and actual styling of hair was essential to the completion of the piece.  The use of the song “I Am Not My Hair” by India Aire was very important to the overall documentary. The lyrics to the song described how confidence and hair are important and how this one part of a human being does not define you. This is what I wanted to portray when I made the piece. I wanted to show the importance of hair to woman but also the beauty with and without it. The b roll within this piece shows people the different textures and styles African American woman have. The timing and cuts of the frames within the piece are synced with the questioned asked and even the lyrics in the song.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpP_QS9HtUY

No comments:

Post a Comment